Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Time Well Spent

“Nobody, no matter how wealthy or influential, gets more minutes in his or her day. Each and every one of us has the same 1,440 minutes each and every day. Once those minutes have passed, that’s it. You can’t retrieve them. You can’t borrow against them, and you certainly can’t save some of them for another day. Time is non-renewable; not one minute of our lives can be placed in abeyance or lived more than once.”

This quote comes from a great book entitled ‘your time-starved marriage’ written by relationship gurus/couple in love, Drs. Les and Leslie Parrott. My sweetheart and I have been reading this lately due to our seeming lack of time together recently. We never see each other anymore. And the quote above mentions the problem with time together. We can’t stop it, save it or store it.

But this quote applies to something more. Take it out of the context of a husband or wife placing a premium on time spent cultivating and nurturing a relationship with their spouse. What about time spent in building a relationship with your Creator? How do we spend our time in pursuit of a deeper relationship with Him?

We should have such a deep desire for a relationship with God that our time is spent more on Him than any other person or thing. We need a Holy Hunger! A.W. Tozer wrote this:

“I want deliberately to encourage this mighty longing after God. The lack of it has brought us to our present low estate. The stiff and wooden quality of our religious lives is a result of our lack of holy desire. Complacency is a deadly foe of all spiritual growth. Acute desire must be present or there will be no manifestation of Christ to his people. He waits to be wanted. Too bad that with many of us He waits so long, so very long, in vain.”

The shepherd king David spent much time writing about how we should wisely carve out time in the sole purpose of seeking a stronger relationship with the Holy God.

Look at Psalm 63:1-8:

“O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land where there is no water.

I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory.

Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you.

I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.

My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you.

On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night.

Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings.

My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.”

So that brings me to the question: What are you doing with your time? How are you spending it?

No comments: