Thursday, March 09, 2006

It's All About Perspective

Last night's class was for me as well as the youth group. We talked about the inevitability of
having bad days and what we could do when they came our way. One of the solutions was to look at examples in the Bible and how they dealt.

The first example was the prophet Ezekiel. Besides laying on his side for a ridiculous amount of time (430 days to be precise), God told him to eat bread baked over human excrement. God also took his wife and told him not to mourn her death. All of these were for symbolic reasons, but talk about having some bad days!!

We then talked about Job. Lost his wealth. Lost his health. His kids die. His wife tells him to 'curse God and die!' Really ugly, if you ask me.

But after all of that, what did these men do? Did they throw in the towel and turn their backs on God?

No! They continued to seek His will and lean on Him as their main source of strength.

Amazing.

I think we all can learn a lesson or two from these men of old. It really knocks me back into reality and I see that I don't have it so bad after all.

Life is pretty good to me.

If only I would do as they do and lean on my heavenly Father for strength and support, then I would rest assured in the knowledge that 'everything is going to work together for good with my life because I love Him and I am called to live in His will.' (Romans 8:28-loosely paraphrased)

No comments: