Sunday, January 13, 2008

Vision

I am stealing this from a former classmate of mine at Harding School of Biblical Studies. It speaks to me about what our youth need in worship. Like Ely, I want our teens to feel and give and be joyful as we praise our Creator and Father in Heaven. I am saddened when I see young people with boredom or a lack of joy in their countenance. I want energy and awe-filled praise to pour pour forth from every one of them. Let me know through comments on this blog or by email what you think about truly engaging our youth in worship.

"It is ten o’clock on Wednesday night. I should probably be at home, but everyone is asleep. I could be at home playing Halo 2, but instead I am sitting in front of my computer compelled to reflect on the previous Sunday’s Teen Worship Service.

For years, I have dodged the obvious thing most of our teens are pining for on a regular basis. I have looked at the big community church picture of meeting the need of heartfelt worship on a regular basis, and every time I felt as if they were entertaining their churches every Sunday. After attending a conference in Indianapolis, there is no doubt that is not a true statement in general fashion anyway. It was a rote answer embedded into my psyche from school at Harding, elders, and other church experiences. Our teens want to be refreshed and express the adoration of our God. They and I hope for an emotionally engaging time of reflection and praise unto God. Praise truly comes in all forms, and there are many patterns for people to worship God, but our teens in Vision want to sing and praise from the heart with emotion.

So this last Sunday, we made a huge step as a group. We had our first Youth Worship service. We sang songs we loved. We clapped. We celebrated. We truly worshipped God in a meaningful way, that each has talked about since Sunday. It is time to engage our Youth.

My intent in prayer I believe to be pure in motive. I want to experience and I want the teens of Vision to experience a God who is alive, one who wants us to express everything we are. He wants us to cry and weep when necessary. He wants us to celebrate victory and life. He wants our praise and adoration. No Question! Hands down this is our DUTY. In life, in corporate worship, and in ministry God deserves our adoration.

There is no turning back from this point forward. Each week will include relevant Bible Study, consistent heartfelt prayer, and celebratory praise. Let us keep our heads up in the days ahead as we worship God, as we know how, and meet the challenges that are sure to surface. May I be strong and not back down from what is NEEDED! Thank You Lord for the courage to move forward! Let us demonstrate faith by going where he leads even though we do not know the destination.

Let Us Praise Him with all we are!"

No comments: