Wednesday, July 30, 2008

People You Meet On The Journey

As many of you know, I am a complete goofball. I love to laugh, play and pull pranks.

But...

I do have a serious side to me and one of the aspects to this side is gleaning as much knowledge, wisdom, life application and work ethic as I can from colleagues, friends and mentors (not as many mentors as you might say, Larry!) along the way. What follows is a bit of what I have learned from these great people in my work.

Jim Gardner showed me how to 'do ministry.' I came in greener than a gourd and he carved off the greener bits here and there. It was not the easiest of processes, let me assure you! He taught me how to accentuate my strengths and daily improve upon my weaknesses. I learned how to just be with people through bible study and visitation. I learned how to improve my work ethic. I look to him as a prime example of what true preaching is all about - an intimate conversation with the audience. There is much more, but I will leave it at that for now.

Jim Dobbs
imparted wisdom and love in what seemed like every breath. What an amazing man! I had a nickname for him while we worked together - Yoda. Everyone looked to him for counsel. I miss being around him on a weekly basis!

Greg Neill showed me how to get in there and get your hands dirty. I have never met a harder 'behind the scenes' worker who also was the full time preacher. He was always willing to bend over backwards to get the work done. What a true servant in the Kingdom.

Allan Stanglin rekindled a Godly passion within me. He brought such energy and tirelessness to the work that sometimes left my head spinning. I can't wait to see him in August!

Mike Knappier has helped me cultivate grace and grit in my ministry. Equally a man of extreme compassion and Godly confrontation, he has helped me understand that it is important to speak up when it comes to God's work and His people here on earth, but to do it with a spirit of love from above. I am still able to sit at his feet and I know I will continue to learn as we work together here in AR.

These are just a few of the great men that I have had to privilege to work and worship with along my journey. I'm sure there will be a part II somewhere along the way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think this proves that "If you give yourself to the journey, the journey gives itself to you!"

TTOW!