Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Where Have I Been?

Friday brought back so many memories of my own high school and university experience that it was overwhelming. I subbed for Bryce Gage-the Choir Director.

1st period was the Varsity Girls Choir. We worked on sightreading and memorization of Christmas pieces with emphasis in proper vowels, dynamics and proper breathing.

2nd period was Music History. We took a 70 question test that was not quite easy. I tried it myself and think I made around an 80%.

Last period was Music Theory. We worked on P, M, m and other intervals as well as key signatures and scales.

Wow, what a blast from the past. It was a great day and I am proud of the strengthening of the music program at Marble Falls MS and HS!

---------

Yesterday, Ann (our secretary) and I took Allan out to eat in celebration of his 40th Birthday! Wow, he is getting up there in years! Quite an old man! We went to Opie's in Spicewood. The barbecue there is so good, it was covered in a special on the Food Network! It has become our fave place to eat brisket and sausage around here!

---------

Today, Jerry and Dennis are cutting up our new yard and installing the sprinkler system! Elizabeth and I have been emptying boxes, putting up blinds, hanging curtains and placing art and pictures on the walls. Everything around the new place is starting to look like a real home.

Yesterday morning, we had a great visit by Jim and Helen Dobbs. Last night, we had our Meat Eaters Bible study in the new living room! It was great!!

Ahh..the new Mitchell Mansion is wonderful!

3 comments:

Joice Family said...

Will you come and be a guest sub for me sometime? I am always looking for a good sub to teach math to middle schoolers.

Jason Fry said...

Jimmy,
Do you sub regularly, or just once in a while? As a YM I visited schools at lunch on a regular basis, but it seems like subbing would be just as or more effective for staying in touch. Your experience?

Jimmy Mitchell said...

Jason,
I have gotten into a pretty routine thing with the subbing. I think it is great to be there with them on their own turf. They seem to be more relaxed and open with their friends around. It makes me feel so good to get to know them in the real world! My experience is that subbing coupled with support in extracurricular actvities is extremely effective!