Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Ministry In A Nutshell

"I have a special pass. The kind that gets some people into every athletic event for their school or that permits some people to park wherever they want.

Only my pass allows me to enter into the holy places of lives.

I’m a minister. I’m one who speaks the Word of God, one who shapes worldviews, one who challenges, chastises, encourages, teaches, forms, unforms, and guides. And because of that — ill-formed though my life often seems to me (dogged by doubts and shortcomings) and ill-prepared though I’ve always felt (despite those many years of Greek!) — I’m given a pass that permits me to walk into sacred places.

Places where vows are made. Places where last words are spoken by best friends before walking out to make vows. Places where grieving widows or widowers say one last word at the casket after everyone else is gone. Places where parents hold their breath and beg God, waiting for the latest MRI to come back. Places where people speak their secrets, needing reassurance that God still loves them. Places of grief, relief, sorrow, joy, fear, and ecstasy.

What would I say to a young person who’s considering ministry?

Well, let’s be honest. It isn’t always easy. (What job is?)

But it’s a privilege, a blessing beyond blessings. My pass lets me weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice. And when that happens, I feel fully alive. Even with those hidden doubts and shortcomings." - Preacher Mike

That just about sums it up for me. I love doing what I do! I love ministering to not only the teens and tweens, but people of all sizes and shapes (and Ages).

I have always wanted to help this world in some way and I can think of no better way of doing it than sharing the love of God and His son Jesus Christ with a fallen race. It is my prayer that I continue to be melted down and reformed into His image as I reach out to the lost and the hurting.

Thank You, Lord for loving us and giving us Your Spirit to guide us in this place! Thank You, God, for making us in Your image and giving us the tools to spread Your good news to the ends of the earth!

No comments: