Friday, June 15, 2007

Quote Of The Day

I found this quote on a blog the other day and could not pass up the chance to share it with you. It really hits home!

“Reality came starkly home to me nine weeks ago today when I was driving on a winding road in Colorado. Suddenly, I missed a curve and my Ford Explorer slipped off the pavement and started tumbling side to side at 60 miles per hour. An ambulance appeared, and I spent the next seven hours strapped to a body board, with duct tape across my head to keep it from moving. A CAT scan showed that a vertebra high on my neck had been shattered, and sharp bone fragments were poking out next to a major artery. The hospital had a jet to fly me to Denver for emergency surgery.

“I had one arm free, with a cell phone and little battery time left. I spent those tense hours calling people close to me, knowing it might be the last time I would ever hear their voices. It was an odd sensation to lie there helpless, aware that though I was fully conscious, at any moment I could die.

“Samuel Johnson said when a man is about to be hanged, ‘it concentrates his mind wonderfully.’ When you’re strapped to a body board after a serious accident, it concentrates the mind. . . . I realized how much my life focused on trivial things. During those seven hours, I didn’t think about how many books I had sold or what kind of car I drove (it was being towed to a junkyard anyway). All that mattered boiled down to four questions: Whom do I love? Whom will I miss? What have I done with my life? And am I ready for what’s next?”

- Philip Yancey (from a sermon given at Virginia Tech two weeks after the shootings . . . from Christianity Today)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those are some powerful words, Jimmy!

Thanks for sharing!

Ps: Amanda says Hi. We are currently in Nashville visiting Josh and Kim. She is nearly due for a baby boy! We are so excited! Chad is really enjoying his youth ministry job in Jasper.

See you on July 11!!