Friday, August 18, 2006

Great Singers and Performers

The drive back from Austin yesterday got me thinking about great musicians and the music that has left lasting impressions on many people. Being a singer myself, more precisely a light, lyric tenor, I usually listen more to the vocal prowess or lack thereof in the singer rather than the guitar riffs and piano licks. I am going to list some of my all time favorite singers and musicians(be it Rock, Pop, Jazz, Opera, etc.) and I want to hear from you. It can be vocalist or instrumentalist. Whoever has left an indelible mark on you.

1. Freddie Mercury from Queen. Wow! Amazing voice.
2. The Beatles.
3. Roy Orbison. Quite an outstanding range.
4. Fritz Wunderlich (Opera). Beautiful Lyric Tenor.
5. The Eagles.
6. Alison Kraus.
7. Louis Prima.

This is just a few of the greats in my book. There are so many more, but the blog would go on for days. What do you think? Who do you like?

4 comments:

Jimmy Mitchell said...

"Man, I'm looking at my list and I think I'm old." That is the understatement of the year. 'How old is Allan Stanglin?' the average reader of this blog might wonder. Let me make it clear to all in blogdom. I think he was around with the cavemen of 'History of the World: Part I' when they invented music by smashing rocks on the feet of other cavemen and listening to the high pitched screams produced. That is how old Allan Stanglin is!

Narissa said...

Carole King one of my favorites - and I agree, music is such a important part of life - we went to see Fabin, Bobby Vee and Bryan Hylan, last night and brings back so many memories of life as a teen - Ask your mom, she'll remember these guys - Jimmy I'm so proud of you! We all say hello from B.A.

Jimmy Mitchell said...

You know, Big Bob, I came to that realization about The Beatles later in life, as well! Oh I had heard their Number Ones and I thought that they were good, but when I met my sweetheart, she opened up so many new doors with The White Album, Abbey Road (my favorite, by the way) and more of their later stuff that kept topping the musical intricacies of the prior albums. John, Paul and George had such great voices-on top of their instrumental/songwriting abilities-and blended well with each other. A band like this doesn't come around too often.

Old Screamin' Sam was great, wasn't he?

Brian Nicklaus said...

not just the Beatles but Paul McCartney, especially on "I saw her standing there", early stuff

Smokey Robinson!!

Van Morrison is just so distinct. I dont' know much besides his 2-3 main songs, though.

thats all I can think of, I listen to talk radio more than music, now. that's how old I am...