Saturday, June 24, 2006

Memories: New and Old

This past week has been full of new adventures and rekindling old friendships.

I have been blessed to forge a bond between Blair and Melanie Gibson, the couple that formerly worked here ministering to the youth in Marble Falls. They are now in West Texas at a little place called Sweetwater. What great servant hearts these people are! Such examples of faith and love like these two are few and far between.

The MF group was able to work with such passionate people as Bob, Ron, Chris, Matt, and others that love our God at the Contact Church of Christ.

Aaron Loney was awesome for allowing us to stay in the youth room and young adult room at Park Plaza Church of Christ. What a great facility for students to get to know God and each other!

At the same time that we were getting to know new people in Tulsa, I was surprised to see old friends and acquaintances from the past. I was happy to work with Chris, the cousin of my Harding roommate Chad Joice, who is presently working with the Contact church in Tulsa.

The Office Manager of Park Plaza remembered me from when I was in elementary and middle school. He and his wife had worked at Green Country Christian Academy when I was a mere pipsqueak, I mean pupil.

When we were done with our work in Tulsa, Elizabeth and I were able to take some of the teens over to Shawkat's Deli and Grill-voted as Tulsa's number one Mediterranean restaurant. It was not really for the Hummus, Baba Gannouj, Tawook, Baklava or Gyros-even though they are oh so delicious. I knew the teens may not be so hot on the new flavors. The main reason that I took them is because my Uncle Taha and Aunt Connie are the owners of this great establishment on 41st and Sheridan. Some of the kids from Contact were treated to a great meal. Wow!! It was great to see them and my cousin Bud with his daughter again. And to partake of some good eats once more.

Great times in Tulsa!! Pics forthcoming.

No comments: