Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Just One Of Those Days

Have you ever had one of those days? You know, the one where you spend all day trying to figure out why you got out of the wrong side of the bed? You stay in the grump state from dawn to dusk? I have been in this funk all day long. And I don't know why! I have no reason to feel like this. Yet, here I am with a "case of the Mondays" on Tuesday.

I hastily brushed off a kid from my youth group while snapping at my wife over the phone. I holed myself away from my coworkers. I was not quite as cheerful with the lady behind the desk at Taco Bell as usual. It has been just one of those days. And there is no reason behind it. It just is.

While I encounter this day of grumpiness, I recall the lyrics of a song that my mom and dad would play for me every Sunday morning in my childhood. "Have patience. Have patience. Don't be in such a hurry. When you get impatient, you only start to worry. Remember. Remember that God is patient, too. And think of all the times when others had to wait on you." Just remembering the words to that song (sung by a snail in a dragging, monotonous baritone, I believe) brings a smile to my face.

I have since called my wife and apologized. I am going to see the kid in the group and say some kind words and I know that I will be back in Taco Bell to smile and shoot the breeze with the workers. Reparations are well under way.

Days like this will come upon us whether we like it or not. But when they do it is helpful to stop and bring to mind a little poem, ditty or scripture that speaks to our behavior and attitude. It makes a world of difference. "Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus." (Philippians 2:5)

No comments: