Wednesday, July 06, 2005

How To Deal

Apologies to all of you for the lack of blogs over the past few days. I spent some time with members of my spiritual family at the lake from Friday to Monday. Getting on the SeaDoo and lettin' her rip on Lake DeGray was therapeutic. Swimming, grilling, singing, praying and spending time in fellowship with 24 people with loving hearts was, indeed, 'chicken soup for the soul.'

We didn't get much rest, though. 1st was the bus full of wild partyers right next to us whooping it up into all hours of the night and keeping me and my sweetie up 'til around 3 in the morning. Next came the realization that our aerobed had a hole in it and that we were left to sleep on the rocks. Mix all of that in with no cool night air and you are in for a nice, sleepless night. But the next night was spent in the cool camper with Jim, Mandy, Trae, Tori, John, Allessandra, Cassie and my sweetie, Elizabeth. That was fun!

----------------------------

I am in a funk. That's about all I can think of to describe my state. My colleague, good friend and mentor is leaving to work with a congregation in Texas. And he will be leaving too soon. Read Jim Gardner's blog for more info. While I know that this is the work of God, I am still left in a funk.

The title of this blog is a phrase the keeps running through my mind: How to deal. How do we deal with loss? How do we cope with change?

I don't know how. I don't have the neat, cookie-cutter answer, so I give it over to God and let Him take care of it. Yes, I am in a funk, but I know that God sees the Big Picture and He has the answers for these bumps in the journey.

In the middle of this blog, my friend and shepherd, Rick Northen, came into my office and changed my perspective on this matter with stories and advice. My funk is not quite so deep now that I have been slapped back into the reality of things. He gave me some nuggets of wisdom to tuck away and use on a rainy day.

It all comes down to this: The only constant in life is change.

A true disciple of Christ knows that provisions and providence are God-given. Let tomorrow worry about itself. Be willing to release any fears and let the Spirit guide you through all uncharted territory.

No comments: