Saturday, July 30, 2005

Thoughts on Jesus

My buddy, Scott P. sent me this through email and I thought it was pretty neat. Max Lucado is a very insightful author and his viewpoint on Jesus is intriguing. Here it is...

"Why would Jesus, on his first journey, take his followers to a party?
Didn't they have work to do? Didn't he have principles to teach?Wasn't his time limited? How could a wedding fit with his purpose on earth?
Why did Jesus go to the wedding?
The answer? It's found in the second verse of John 2. “Jesus and his followers were also invited to the wedding.”
Why did they invite him?
I suppose they liked him.
Big deal? I think so. I think it's significant that common folk in a little town enjoyed being with Jesus. I think it's noteworthy that the Almighty didn't act high and mighty. The Holy One wasn't holier-than-thou.

You just don't get the impression that his neighbors grew sick of his haughtiness and asked, “Well, who do you think made you God?”
His faith made him likable, not detestable. Would that ours would do the same!
May I state an opinion that may raise an eyebrow? May I tell you why I think Jesus went to the wedding? I think he went to the wedding to - now hold on, hear me out, let me say it before you heat the tar and pluck the feathers-I think Jesus went to the wedding to have fun.
Maybe these thoughts catch you by surprise. They do me. It's been awhile since I pegged Jesus as a party-lover. But he was. His foes accused him of eating too much, drinking too much, and hanging out with the wrong people! (See Matt. 11:19.) I must confess: It's been awhile since I've been accused of having too much fun. How about you?
We used to be good at it. What has happened to us? What happened to clean joy and loud laughter? Is it our neckties that choke us?
Is it our diplomas that dignify us? Is it the pew that stiffens us? Jesus took time for a party...shouldn't we?"

No comments: